Wednesday 3 December 2014

Open day at the UCA, Farnham

Really excited about the open day today.   Looking forward to finding out more about the MA in ceramics and whether or not it is what I want to do. Hopefully the day will help answer the question of whether I feel ready to do an MA.  I have a project in mind that would benefit from the support of fellow students and staff feedback, but the only thing letting me down at the moment is a portfolio of recent work, I need to get professional images produced.  I also need to spend time developing a cohesive sketch books ideas and research around one idea, rather than a collection of different projects and ideas that are not developed.   Need to also hone the research statement and develop a bibliography.  

To help with the sketchbook development I have signed up for a 10 week evening class in January February and March.  This is based around 3d and print and I am looking forward to this.  Would like to explore the green man theme as a side project to the my MA proposal.

I would also like to instigate a drawing project of one per day for the next 365 days.  This would be a great tool  to be creative, get me  drawing and exercising my visual awareness.  I want to attempt this using the Paper app on the ipad.  Will post images to this blog, or maybe create a separate blog, see how this goes.

Regarding bibliography, Ashley Howard's work I greatly admire.  He was a visiting lectuter will I was a student at Brighton and he was an influence on my final pieces in my degree show.   I love throwing on a large scale, the sculptural quality you can get is fantastic but unfortunately, space, money and a commercial market have made me downsize my work after graduating.  Working on a larger scale is something I would like to explore as part of the MA as I think size and setting could be appropriate for my project.

Approaching clapham junction so will continue blog post when back on the Farnham train.

Now on the Alton train from platform 9.   Had to wait 20 mins for the connecting train but fortunately there was warm waIting area, very chilli this morning.  

Started thinking about the logistics were I to do an MA at Farnham.   It is a 2 hour train journey or a 1hour 15 min car journey.  Which would be better?  Questions to ask, is there car parking? what time do lectures start?  How many days are you required to be in uni as a part-time student?  Cost by train is £25 even at 8am so it is feasible, depends on what I would need to transport.  So that is something to think about, the logistics if making large scale pieces.  I love travelling by train as you can utilise the time well, a car journey however will allow easy transport of work.  Perhaps a balance o the two depending on the day ahead.

To end this post, here is a quick sketch on the journey,  difficult to get the delicate facial features with the pressure of ones finger on the ipad, may have to investie in e-pen.  






No comments:

Post a Comment