Wednesday 15 July 2015

Inspiration/ ideas while camping

Last week I went camping, or rather glamping may be an more accurate discription, at a wonderfl campsite in Dorset, Riverside Lakes (Horton).


Great opportunit to relax, read, play silly games, eat and explore.   The weather was fantastic, although it did rain on a couple of occasions.   The evenings were spent round the campfire and on clear nights, we did a bit of stargazing.  Now have knowledge in the old brainbox of 3 new constellations.

The Crown
Libra
The Eagle
Also refreshed my memory as to where  Cygnet (The Swan) and the Herdsman were.

Sunday (5th) was the perfect opportunity to see Venus and Jupiter , very close together, or a least from our perspective.


During this trip I had time to think about ceramic work/projects that may be good to develop.  One is looking at the stories about the UK native trees.   There are many stories linked with myth and legends about our trees and I think it would be an interest area  to explore.  Would like to link drawing and ceramics together to explore this subject.    Something to think about!

Another idea is to work with my observational drawings, but transfer onto the ceramic surface.  Did to think about context for these.  What form should they take, how should they be seen.   What reasons am I doing these drawings?  They are a collection and therefore be represented as such?  Should there be one piece per drawing or several drawing at one, telling a story over a period of time?  My journey?   Things to think about here and research to do.   What artists use ceramics as form to storytelling?   Grayson Perry, Alex McErlain, etc.


Need to go a leaf collection at the weekend to make some impression moulds of native leaves and any seed heads.

During my camping trip, we went to Poole Pottery, interesting mix of things going on there.   Initally, when I walked in I thought I had gone into the wrong place, but at the back of the shop, there were the makers and their work.  there was also a collection of past work from poole pottery dating back many years, all for sale.   I managed to find the dinnerset that my mother-in-law has, would have phoned her to ask if she need any replacement pieces, but the lack of electricity supply in the yurt, meant I had no battery on the old telephonic device.

Regarding the work at poole pottery, some interesting mix of work, which was very well made and can appreciate the work gone into these pieces, and the prices reflect this.   Way outside my price range but good research as to pricign work!

There was a maker that stood out for me, but I didn't write down her name and now cannot find her work.    She used a drawing techique - negative drawing - taking away the background by scrapping into the clay to reveal a lighter colour beneath the redish slip.    All based on natural forms and using a vasel like structure as the form.   I will post the name should it resurface to memory.




No comments:

Post a Comment